Saturday, August 14, 2010

It's My Heart

Well, the next day to me is a blur. I lay in my hospital bed recovering, trying to focus on what really just happened, drugged up on pain meds and trying to get down to the NICU to see my baby. Dave is being such a good daddy staying close by Lincoln's side. He wheeled me down to see him and pictured below was his first home in St. Rose Dominican Hospital's NICU.He was doing so good just breathing on CPAP. He didn't need to be intubated, his lungs were doing pretty good. Grandma and Nana were there to give him love and support which I am very thankful for!

Lincoln is so small, this is daddy's hand next to him, so you can see how truly tiny he is.

While we were there in the NICU, Dr. Ravvi- the NICU doc whom we loved, decided to order an echocardiogram of Lincoln's heart, as he was breathing a little harder than usual. We went back up to my room to rest and we soon got a phone call from Dr. Ravvi that he wanted to come and talk to us. My heart sank, because I knew something was wrong. Dr. Ravvi and another doctor walked in and told us very kindly that Lincoln's echo came back showing that he has a congenital heart defect called a coartation. They assured us that this could be repaired and that some of the best surgeons and cardiologists in the country are located in Vegas and that they would be able to help him.

They informed us that they needed to transport Lincoln to a different hospital in Las Vegas that has an amazing cardiology and NICU that could help him with all of his needs. So not one day old Lincoln was being transported away from mama to a strange place all alone. This broke my heart but I was confident the doctors and nurses would be able to help him with their expertise. Dave was able to give him a priesthood blessing before they transported him and I knew Heavenly Father would watch over my little boy while I could not be there with him. I still had 3 more days in the hospital.

The transport team brought him to my bedside before they transported him away. It was one of the most surreal and sad times of my life.

Me saying goodbye and giving him another "pep talk." Dave followed the transport team over and made sure he was all cozy and tucked in at his new home, while my mom stayed with me and took such good care of me in the hospital.

Lincoln arrived safe and sound at Sunrise Children's Hospital where he will be for the next few months under going surgeries and learning how to feed and adapt to this strange world outside the womb. He is the strongest little spirit and you can feel it when you walk into his space. He just has this presence that says-"I am strong, I will fight."
NICU at Sunrise Children's Hospital

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story! You are such a strong person, I have always admired that about you! We are praying for you and Lincoln and know that you will be blessed! Love you very much and look forward to more updates on the little man!!