Saturday, August 14, 2010

NICU

NICU stands for Neonatal Intensive Care Unit typically, but to me the acronym means Nerveracking, Intensive Care Unit. Each day as we would go and visit our little man there would be good news, and always the not- so- good news. There are things that go well and things that need adjustment. I am so thankful for the amazingly skilled nurses and doctors that are in charge of our baby. Lincoln's first few days were calm, he was breathing well, and his lungs were strong so they removed the CPAP machine and he just needed a nasal canula with a low dosage of oxygen. This was progress. lincoln is not able to eat yet, because he has all sorts of lines that prevent that, but we are told he should be able to eat within the next couple weeks. He is resting and waiting for his first surgery where the surgeon will put bands on his pulmonary arteries.

We talk with the surgeon who explains what will happen, what to expect and the risks that accompany the surgery. I break out into tears as I hear that they will need to cut our tiny son's chest open to get to the pulmonary arteries. I think to myself how is it possible that a little person can take so much being so fragile and so young? Once again the answer is clear- our baby is meant to be here right here, right now, and he is fighting to stay with us. Oh, he is strong.

The surgeon assures me he "thinks" all will go smoothly. I look him in the eye and tell him I trust him, and he replies- "I will take care of your baby. I will do all I can to help save his life." That comforted me.
Lincoln looked so good before the surgery. I got to hold him and it was one of the most special nights of my life!
Our first family picture!


How cute is this profile?

Lincoln and daddy's fingers. This is Dave's pinky:):)

No comments: